I love ice cream. There’s no other way to say it; I just love it. Especially in warmer weather, nothing makes me more excited that a scoop of creamy ice cream on a waffle cone while walking along the ocean. I can taste it now!
When I changed my diet as part of my management of MS (you read more about that here), one of the things I missed the most was an ice cream cone. Have I mentioned I love ice cream? I’ve been trying to recreate my own dairy-free/vegan ice cream for the past few months and I’m finally starting to get some great results! I know summer is almost over, but those people who say ice cream is a summer treat don’t know what’s good for them!
I made this Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream a couple weeks ago and decided to let Clark taste it before I told him the ingredients. He instantly started “Mmmm-ing,” followed by a “Babe, this is amazing!” I knew I hit the jackpot. As soon as I’d seen that I won him over, I knew I could tell him what was in it! In a “haha-I-tricked-you” kind of tone I blurted out, “IT’S MADE OF AVOCADO!!!” I think we were both kind of surprised how great it tasted.
Honestly, the blend of avocado and coconut milk make this ice cream so, so creamy! Just blend all the ingredients together in a blender, freeze, and scoop! It’s that easy! If you’re planning on eating it the next day, or a few days later, you may need to let it sit out for 30 minutes before it’s soft enough to scoop up!
- 2 Large Avocados (or 3 small)
- 1 can of coconut milk (use full fat for extra creamy, but low-fat will work)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup of liquid sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup, agave)
- 1/4 cup cocoa power
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Place in freezer safe container and freeze for 3-5 hours* (stirring every hour if you can).
- Once mixture is frozen, scoop it up and enjoy!
- If you freeze it for more than 5 hours you may have to let it sit on the counter for 30-40 minutes to soften before scooping.